Can I insure my home from flooding?


In recent years a major preoccupation for insurers and many home owners has been how to maintain the wide availability of flood cover. The incidence of flooding continues to grow, alongside increasing concerns over the effects of climate change. If you live in an area which is prone to flooding, you may find it difficult to buy home insurance. If you're having problems finding cover, a broker or other insurance intermediary may be able to help. Insurers are currently obliged to offer insurance to the majority of their existing customers who have previously been flooded or are at risk of flooding under an agreement - called the Statement of Principles. This agreement is in the process of being replaced by a new scheme called Flood Re. This scheme will ensure flood insurance remains widely affordable and available for most properties. However not all homes will be covered by the scheme. Homes in the highest council tax band - Band H in England, and equivalent properties in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - will not be included. In addition, as under the old agreement, homes built after 1 January 2009 will not be covered by the scheme.