What is contents insurance?


I'm often asked that question - here's what you need to know. Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing the contents of your home if they are lost, damaged or destroyed by one of the events listed in the policy. The list of events which are insured is quite long, but it includes things such as fire, storm, flood, burst pipes and theft. Contents insurance covers everything you would take with you if you moved home ­ including your furniture, kitchen appliances, curtains, bedding, clothing, television, computer equipment, jewellery and other personal possessions. Cover is often on a 'new for old' basis, which means insurers will repair any damage in full or replace an item with a new equivalent. No deduction is made for any wear and tear.